Treating mould in your home

What is mould?

Mould growth is one of the symptoms of surface condensation. This occurs initially as spots, increasing to larger patches. Mould can vary in colour but usually green, black or brown. It can affect walls, ceilings, floor coverings, furnishings and even clothes. If left unchecked it can cause thousands of pounds worth of damages to your internal decorations and belongings.

Why are the causes?

If you find mould growth in your home, don’t panic, it’s actually found in around one in ten homes. Mould grows in moist or humid conditions and is usually linked with persistent condensation.  

How can it be prevented?

Mould growth can be prevented by ensuring that your home stays well ventilated and that humidity levels are managed. There are some simple steps that you can take to help. If you haven't already done so, add our “Managing Condensation” activity card to your plan. We have included a list of tasks for you to complete to help avoid the build up of condensation in your home.

How can it be treated?

It’s important to avoid dry brushing or rubbing the mould affected area, this will distribute the mould spores into other areas of your home.

  • Firstly treat the mould and sterilise the affected area
  • Avoid using household bleach. Not only can it be harmful to you but it can also shock the mould into a type of hibernation only to return again.
  • Apply your preferred treatment to the mould and leave it for at least 15 minutes or as directed on the product. You can try these natural treatments or we recommend that you try Milton Sterilising Fluid
  • After 15 minutes you should see the mould change colour slightly
  • Next take a clean, disposable paper towel or antiseptic wipe and wipe clean the affected area.
  • Leave to dry
  • Repeat the process to fully sterilise the area.